Friday, December 3, 2010

It Was a Great Day


It Was a Great Day
It was a bright, sunny, summer day and I knew it would be a perfect day for a ride. I gathered my cycling gear that I had laid out the evening before. My check off list included my helmet, gloves, mirror, computer (to check my speed and distance), sun tan lotion, glasses, a snack and two water bottles. I was dressed in my blue jersey tank top, cycling shorts and light blue socks that matched the color of my helmet. I had just laced my sneakers and checked to make sure that my Road ID was on my left shoe. I felt a rush of excitement because of energy that is involved with preparations for a ride. I put my bike on my rack and headed down the highway and past all the cars carrying people who would be going to work.
When I arrived at my destination I did like always and took my bike off the rack and placed it on the ground. I looked around the parking lot and saw the familiar sites of people’s cars who worked in the store. I saw the bikes that had been put out to be sold to fellow riders and Tex the friendly dog who comes out to greet people. I smile and wave to the people who work there and have one of the guys put air in my tires. Even if the guys are busy they are always willing to come over and help me with whatever I need.
As I got on my bike I took a final look around me to see that the weather was going to be good. This place is special to me because I have left my car in the parking lot all summer and would head down to the beach. No worries about paying for a spot, being stuck in traffic, or finding a spot and not being able to parallel park. As a cyclist, I would have complete freedom of which direction and how fast I wanted to travel. I felt another rush of excitement and I knew it was time to head out and hit the road. As I began my descent, I looked back fondly at my friends store and saw the sign still reading Gus International. The new owner’s had renamed it Gus Bike in memory of the previous owner who had passed away. The purple building with the peach trim felt like home to me, and again I felt very lucky to come to know the owners. I had written an article about the shop in my clubs publication called Pedal Talk. I am the Sponsoring Shops Coordinator for the Granite State Wheelmen and it is my job to help connect the members with the local shops.
I headed down the bike path which was big enough for a few cyclists to ride side by side and having wide shoulders on the road was great. I headed down the path and saw the familiar sites of the stores and the intersection that I did not have to go through. I took a right turn, and headed down Atlantic Avenue which took me along a posh residential neighborhood lined with big fancy homes. As I passed the familiar landmarks that I have seen many times before it brought back memories of rides before this one. With each ride things would come upon me faster each time and I knew I had become a more skilled rider. I passed the horse farm on the right and saw four horses looking at me as to say hi. I gave them a smile and a knowing look that made me feel like we had a secret and that we could enjoy the weather together.
As I moved along Atlantic Avenue I approached a hill and I began to worry if I would have enough strength to pedal up it. I saw a woman pass me on a hybrid bike with big fat tires just like the one I used to ride. I heard her say, “On your left” and I knew I was going to be left in her dust. That encouraged me to keep pedaling and I shifted down to the lowest gear that I could. I decided that it was now or never and I peddled my used, black Motobecane road bike like I was a superstar. I reached the end of the road which brought me to RT. 1A which takes me along the Atlantic Ocean in Rye NH and got my first glimpse of the ocean. I made a left turn and continued to enjoy the views of the crashing waves and the endless blue sky.
I felt the summer sun on my shoulders and there was the typical sea breeze that came with riding by the ocean. I felt so lucky to be on my bike because someone had given me it who I did not know. I had gone to a group ride one evening at my friends shop and someone who had upgraded her bike had given it to me. She even paid for the tune up and made sure that it was safe for me to ride. I have often seen my benefactor while I have been out for a ride, once on bike and the other from her car.
Looking at the views and taking the scenery is more important than speed and I often see other cyclists who continue to pedal where I enjoy coasting. Skill will come with practice but for now I will enjoy my leisurely rides at my own pace. I made a left turn onto Washington Avenue and continued down this road for awhile and I made a note of the places I passed. The Rye Fire Station, The Hungry Horse Café, and Christine Crossings an upscale clothing store for women. I took a left at Christine Crossings and knew I was on my way back to the store. At this point I knew I may have had five miles left to go. The roads that I followed continued to take me on the rural roads of Rye which gave me quite a view. I was away from the ocean at this point but the view of the fancy big homes and the well developed gardens were just as pretty.
My journey was almost complete and when I entered the parking lot of Gus Bike, I felt both happy and a little sad that my ride was over. I had to remind myself that there would be plenty more rides before the fall had ended. I went say “hi” to my friends and we gave each other a knowing look and we both knew I had a great ride. When you meet other cyclists you share in the camaraderie and the love for the sport. It was a good ride and a great day.  




No comments:

Post a Comment