Sunday, December 12, 2010

4 Ways I Use the Internet

Internet Dating- People can meet each other online and have conversations in a controlled method like the ones used with EHarmony (paid service) and Plenty of Fish which is a free service. When I visit either of these sites I can look at pictures, read a profile, I can send an email and set up a date and all this is done through the internet. It is better to talk with someone over the phone before you meet in person, but most of the communication is done through email. EHarmony is hard to get in touch with because they never responded to my emails when I locked myself out of my account. I had to search on the web to find a toll free number and one happy couple made a list of numbers and they commented on the fact that the numbers are not listed on the site. EHarmony has articles about dating online for example if you click on this link below you may pick up a few good tips, because when I see something in writing it makes sense of the thoughts I had in my head that I could not quite figure out.

http://www.eharmony.com/singles/servlet/reports/main#pp-1

Online Education- Going to school online is great for me because I live in a small town in NH, there are a few colleges around here, but if I was working it would mean that I would have to go to school at night and the programs that I am interested in are easily accessible to me online. I may be going for a second BA and now that I know how to get through hard classes I think it will be easy for me to work and be at school. I can go to school whenever I want, learn at my own pace, reread posts and I feel that I am more connected to my classmates and teachers because they are just an email away. I love going to school online and I think more businesses should look to training their employees with the online method it would be great for a person who needs a refresher course to catch up on the latest trends in their field. Going to school online is also less expensive and there are no fees for room and board like it would be on campus and adult learners can easily work around their existing schedule to meet the requirement for their school work.

Online Banking- Direct deposits can be set up through your employer and will be directly deposited to your account instead of taking time at break or after work to put your money in the bank. I can go online everyday and see what has cleared, my balance, what is pending and this helps me keep organized and I do not keep a checking account register because I know what I have and what is still out and I can subtract to know what is left. If I can avoid getting a receipt I will because I am just going to throw it out anyway and at the gas station or grocery store you can put your pin number in and the money comes out that minute you hit enter. Online banking can give you a list of your history so if you forget what day your bills are do you can look to the last month and figure out when a payment is going to be automatically withdrawn. The other benefit is you do not have to call the 1-800 or deal with a person and your financial information will be kept private because you are the only one with access to your account unless permission is given to a teller or someone who works at the bank.

Emails- I love emails and sometimes I forget that I used to love phones just as much when I worked at a call center a few years back I would use a ton of minutes even though I was on the phone all day I talked with my friends just the same. I use emails to communicate with people when I feel tired or when I am very busy. I had a temp job that lasted 7 weeks and I was on an email team and we cut and pasted templates into an email and sent it off to the customer, we would redirect people by giving them instruction to call customer service or we would explain for them how to do something on the homepage. It was slower than they thought it would be and I was faster than the other people and they told me it was not a good fit and now I think I might have gone crazy sitting at a desk all day doing that.

I found an interesting website giving information on different online banking programs and Bank of America was at the top of the list and I liked the layout of this site because of the colors and I am interested in checking out this site a little further, who knows might be some good tips on there (Consumer Research, 2010).

Consumer research love what you buy. (2010, December 09). Retrieved from http://www.consumersearch.com/online-banking

Agreeables: taking care of others or taking care of yourself. (2010, December 9). Retrieved from http://www.eharmony.com/singles/servlet/reports/main#pp-1


No comments:

Post a Comment