Tuesday, March 6, 2012

New Phone

Here are two quotes I found to help define what creative destruction is, with the changing world we must grow and it will allow people to use new technology, everybody likes new cell phones but what happens to the old one that still works?
Joseph Schumpeter, "coined the term "creative destruction" to describe this process of the old being constantly replaced by the new. In fact, he viewed the economy as somewhat like a living organism, constantly growing and changing to maintain its health. He warned that capitalism holds the seeds of its own destruction, and that government control over the economy carries the danger of out of control inflation and economic disaster, both due to the self-centered nature of human beings” (New World Encyclopedia, 2012).
“Part of the core logic of creative destruction is that attempts by current organizations to improve current methods of production are doomed--innovation must create technologies, new processes, and new products and services” (Hyde, 2001).
The other day I got a letter from AT&T saying that I need to turn in my 2G phone or else I could lose service and they sent me a voucher with four different types of phone styles listed. At first I was in disbelief that I would get something for free with no strings attached but I took my old phone into the store and found out all the 2G towers where being taken down.
My phone was simple, I just used it to make calls and after speaking with the sales associate I realized I was on a more expensive plan and I could add texting and unlimited internet for $10 on a cheaper one. So now I am on a better plan because I cut my minutes in half. I have been enjoying this new technology more than I would have ever thought, this phone has a flat screen and I can easily send a text message, find out what time it is and I had fun picking out a really cool piano ring tone.


I am on a better plan and I realized that AT&T designed these four phones so that people would be excited about the change instead of feeling upset that they had to give up their old phones. I see why people get excited with new technology but what happens to the old ones that still work? I had to turn my old phone in and the sales associate downloaded my contact list and I got a cool cover for my phone and I ended up only spending $17. What do people do with their old battery chargers? I now have two that I will never use again because of the change in technology I have hung onto things that have past its time and sometimes I laugh and think I really need to pitch it.
I believe people who are skilled workers in the technology field will have a pretty good chance of getting another job because their skill set is something that a lot of people will not even begin to understand. People who have an open mind will see that change and innovation is inevitable and that person will have new doors that will be open to them for employment possibilities.
I love my new phone it has a really cool design, so thank you to the engineers who designed it.

Hyde, A. (2001, September 1). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HTO/is_2_30/ai_n25036127/
New World Encyclopedia. (2012, March 1). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Joseph_Schumpeter


No comments:

Post a Comment